Saturday, December 11, 2010

Friday Night Sew-In!

I had a productive Sew-In last night!  One gift was finished, I got as far as I could on two others, and nearly finished another that should be done today!

I am spending the day today at my sewing teacher's classroom for a holiday sewing open lab.  Last night I got started on these two name pennants for a friend's kiddos.  My sewing machine doesn't do a pretty satin stitch, so the letters are fused on but not edged yet.  I'll satin stitch around them, sew the backs on, then attach the flags to some bias tape!  I bought my older daughter one of these before I learned to sew and I love it- Now I just need to make one for my younger daughter.  But her name has nine letters in it!  What was I thinking???


I also finished this little tote for an eReader.  The print panels on the front and back are pockets and there's an elastic loop coming over the top to the fabric covered button.  It's lightly padded with fusible fleece.  It's meant to just be an easy way to tote the reader around, the recipient already has a more protective cover for the actual reader.  I've never seen the kind of reader she has in person, so I hope this will work!  I made this up as I went along, and I'm pretty happy with it!
I'm also trying to make iPhone cases for a few friends, but I'm having a hard time with the sizing.  I don't have an iPhone but my mother in law does so I've been stealing hers to test out my prototypes.  Trouble is, everyone has different protective cases so I'm having a hard time getting it just right.  The one on the left fits my mother in law's phone perfectly, but she has a very slim case on hers.  I think that one will end up in her stocking, she seemed to really like it!  That one has a wrist strap and a snap closure.  The other one just barely fit her phone, so I think it will become mine for my regular old non-smart phone. That's got velcro closure and no strap.


So, they're not perfect yet but it was good practice and I'll get it eventually!

Can't wait to check out what all you other Friday Night Sew-In folks accomplished!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you had such a productive FNSI! I'm impressed with all these fun projects! Have a fabulous day at your holiday sewing lab! (where do you go?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping in from FNSI, looks like you have had a very productive night! Way to go! An e-reader case has been on my "to-do" list for a while. Have a great day sewing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting!!!