Pink Day is coming up at my big girl's preschool, so I wanted to make something cute for her to wear (since I totally spaced out on Red Day. Bad Mama.) I have a backlog of ModKid patterns that I want to make, and I LOVE the Julia skirt I made for her a while back, so I decided to give Emma a try.
I used quilter's cotton for all the pieces. It's cute, but would definitely be cuter with something floofier. The pattern suggests making only 6 or 7 petals if you're using cotton for the whole thing. I made 6 petals for this one. If you don't have a serger, I think this would be a fairly frustrating project-- Hemming all those petals would not be my idea of a good time. But a rolled hem on a serger is a cute and quick finish for the petals. I made this from stash fabrics and threads so I was limited on serger thread colors. I used white on the pink petals and pale pink on the butterfly petals. It would be really neat with contrasting colors on the edges! I think I'm going to make a shirt to go with this skirt by appliqueing a butterfly onto a store bought t-shirt.
So... I might be a little bit addicted to these Buttercup Bags! They are just so fast and easy and endlessly customizable and use so little fabric. A perfect instant satisfaction project. Here's my latest. I think I'm going to add a nice wooden button to it.