Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Pair of Diaper Bags

Yes, it's been over a month since my last post- Spring has sprung and my children want to be outside all. the. time. All that sunshine and pollen makes me a sleepy Mama and while I have been sewing, the step of taking pictures and posting them just seems insurmountable by the end of the day! But I'm finally adjusting and I've got a few projects to share over the next few days.

Remember those burp cloths I made for my friend Julie and her twins? We decided she needed a nice big diaper bag for carrying all those baby necessities times two. So we browsed patterns and fabrics for days and days- I don't think she knew what she was in for when she asked me to help her choose fabric!

At last, after I showed her WAY too many options, she chose the Modern Diaper Bag from Amy Butler's Little Stitches book and the Melly & Me Flower Garden bag, which I've made before.

For the Modern Diaper Bag, Julie chose Amy Butler fabrics. This bag is HUGE. I mean HUGE. There were some challenges, but overall it was a lot of fun to make. The inside has lots of pockets, and I thought they would be difficult but that part was actually pretty simple, and I can see myself adapting the pocket style in smaller bags.

See what I mean? Huge. This is my five year old sitting inside the bag.

The interior pockets, with a crayon for size reference.

And here it is hanging with the Flower Garden Bag:

The Flower Garden bag is one of my favorite patterns. It's a really great size, the pockets are nice and big, and it's so cute! I altered the pattern a bit and did the exterior pocket panel on both sides- Plenty of room for double the diapers and wipes in the beginning, and for sippy cups and snacks later on! I love the little covered button, too. I still get such a kick out of making them!

Here's the interior- I was so excited about this idea my sewing class buddies and I came up with. I wanted a nice light fabric for most of the lining, so that things don't get lost in the depths. But I didn't want the different fabric to clash with the exterior fabrics, since there's already a lot going on there. I pieced some of the pocket fabric to the top of the lining when I cut it out, so the top few inches of the lining match the exterior, but the rest is nice and neutral! Plus, it adds some structure to the top of the bag so it stays open while you're holding two babies and hunting for that elusive pacifier! Yet another one of those little tricks that is probably common sense to most of the sewing world, but seemed like a huge revelation to me!

And last but not least, I made a couple of dipes & wipes pouches to match the bags. Just the right size for one of those little hard plastic wipes cases (or a Ziploc baggie of wipes!) and a couple of diapers.
That's all for now!


  1. Holy Cow that bag is huge!!!! Reminds me a bit at my first time making a nappy bag and being surprised at the dimentions. I love it though! BTW the iron arrived last week and I love it. I happily tossed my broken stained one in the trash. LOL. I also gave you the Beautiful blogger award over on my blog yesterday!

    Have a great night Leigh!

  2. Awesome bags! They look great!


Thanks so much for visiting!!!