I probably should have made Lizzie's costume one size bigger, but for the few hours she wore it, it was fine. She was in love with the sparkly blue fabric I found, and I think it looks like scales. I was a little worried about using such a dark fabric again (after last year's poorly planned black cat costume- a little tough for drivers to see in the dark), but the sparkles made it reflective, so it worked out. The pattern is Simplicity 2506.
Allison was so thrilled with her costume, and I actually got a huge hug and a "Thank you, Mom" when I gave her the last piece- the headband- so that made all the work worth it. The top is adapted from the ModKid Nina pattern and I used the basic A-line skirt directions from Sew What Skirts. I had a ton of fun with those spikes, and I find myself thinking of other ways to use screw-on embellishments! They came from StudsandSpikes.com.