Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tools for Tuesday

This week's Tool for Tuesday is OIL!

I probably wouldn't use this particular can.


When was the last time you oiled your sewing machine? Did you know most machines should be oiled after roughly 20 hours of usage? Some even say you should do it every 8-10 hours. I recently oiled my machine (30+ years old, never been tuned up, yikes!) and it really did make an incredible difference! It doesn't take long, you can do a good thorough lint cleaning while you're at it, and you'll be protecting your beloved machine from unnecessary wear and tear. Be sure to check your machine's manual for details on where, when and how to oil! Only use oil intended for sewing machines, and only the tiniest drop in each spot. It's very cheap- Under $4 for a bottle, and a bottle will last you an eternity!

Here are some links to good information about cleaning and maintaining your sewing machine.

Threads Magazine, Issue #91
New Mexico State University
About.com

Go clean your machine!!!

2 comments:

  1. I've admittedly NEVER oiled my machine! *hides face*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well actually keeping my sewing machine clean makes me feel like i have the Best Sewing Machine ever so i totally agree with you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting!!!